Tips from Brighton gardener Helen:
Things are warming up finally so expect lawns and weeds to put on some sudden growth!
- It’s still the perfect time to complete lawn treatments such as application of weed and feed.
- Regular lawn mowing is under way.
- Perfect time for reseeding or turfing lawns.
- Remember to water newly laid lawns and new plants as we’ve had quite a dry March.
- Get on top of weeds before they get a chance to seed themselves.
- Pruning of shrubs that are winter or spring flowering
- It’s a good time to freshen up your garden with some new container grown plants or summer flowering bulbs.
- Dig over and turn any compost heaps to encouarge good compost production. Remember to start a new heap!
- Fertilize ornamental shrubs, roses and plants in containers.
Fruit and veg growing:
- It’s time to start the tiring job of planting out your potatoes.
- Sow lines of leeks.
- Early sowings of lettuce, spinach and rocket leaves into warm, moist soil. Cover with polythene or glass cloches if frost is due.
- Sow tomatoes and courgettes in the greenhouse or indoors on a sunny windowsill
- Pot on, into larger pots, seedlings of chilli peppers that were sowed back in January.
Plants that stand out in the garden this month:
- Clematis armandii