With a mix of sun and lots of showers over the last month things are still very busy in the garden.
- Grass continues to grow so mowing when the weather allows.
- Leaves are starting to come down now so regular clearing of these from lawns and hard landscape.
- Cutting back of herbaceous plants that are looking messy and don’t provide winter interest.
- Lifting and splitting of herbaceous plants that are overcrowded.
- Cut back roses and shrubs such as Buddleja by half now to prevent wind damage.
- Now is a great time for planting new shrubs and trees.
- Last chance to plant bulbs ready for the spring.
- For a healthy lawn carry out autumn lawn treatments like moss kill, scarify and aeration.
- Last chance to reseed lawns if it’s mild enough.
Fruit and veg growing:
- Clear away old and spent plants.
- Dig over and apply fresh compost to your beds.
- Plant crops like winter lettuces, autumn onions, spring cabbages.
- Harvest any remaining apples and pears.
- Plant new fruit trees and bushes.
- Split old overcrowded rhubarb crowns and replant.